Totally Indian

Monday, April 24, 2006

Changing patterns in behaviour & emotions during disease

written by Dr. Anjani Kishore Prasad
I am giving my personal experience on how disease affects mind, thoughts, behaviour and emotions. During the early phase, whenever it was pointed out to me about my tremor, I skipped over and changed the subject. When it became apparent in face and gait I was mentally disturbed. How could I hide my disease? Being a professional it could have effect on my medical practice. Patients would hesitate for operations because I had tremors. Still I carried on with some explanations. Friends advised me not to give out my diagnosis and its relative disability to known and unknown patients and relatives. I followed it. But mentally, I was disturbed. This dishonesty in behavior and thoughts was alien to me. Slowly but, with confidence I described my disease to a few and later on I found that it has not made a tremendous impact on my medical practice. So far I was doing well with my limited disability. My practice did not suffer.

Next Phase brought a sea of change in my thoughts.This was related to my Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma and its treatment. Chemotherapy made me dull, physically unacceptable and emotionally detached. With loss of hair, I was advised to use a wig! Other advises were to be socially present everywhere so that I may remain in circulation. I decided against a wig. I tried to develop positive thoughts to change the situation. It was not possible to be socially present everywhere with a sick face, bald head, no eyebrows. That was a phase when I believed I became an escapist. Loss of energy and vitality brought about lack of concentration emotion and confidence. I was present among the family members and social places but with certain feelings which I cannot describe, in which thinking of getting away from the function, not participating in jokes and function were prime thoughts.

Another phase came and I had total lack of concentration, not appreciating the circumstances and environment. This was a phase when a positive confidence changed into a negative attitude. I avoided social gatherings, professional meetings and marriages and parties. Just avoiding, not because of any physical inability but rather what I would say, a period of depression. I tried my best to read books on how to conquer negative thoughts of depression into positive thoughts. Purnima was always encouraging me to lead a life as I had led and behaved, not to remain detached and isolated. Finally I accepted my fate and in my wisdom the consequences of life. I made Peace with Life. Though helpless physically, I always give a brave face, but in hearts of hearts everything was artificial.

And now, I find myself clinging to my own life, fully dependent. Though everyone wants to help, I behave in a selfish way. I am selfish to that extent that I don’t think anything about others except myself. My worst phase I believe is still to come, loss of practice will bring a tight and strained financial situation. This phase I must conquer.It is not financial aid that I am looking for, but how to manage my own finances and still keep myself happy and contented. I know that somewhere expenses have to be tuned, but it should not obviously reflect on the living standard.
To overcome all these problems I thought religious learnings will give peace. I bought religious books but I did not find much interest in those. I did study The Gita but one reading is not sufficient. As the teaching goes in the Gita you have to surrender to God- mentally, physically and emotionally doing your own duty assigned to you. God will help you.
Looking at Purnima, I believe that study of religious books increases your religious knowledge, but does not make you religious. Basic is meditation and prayer and the rituals of worshipping God that I observed from Purnima, which may follow in me. I am told there is great strength in prayer, meditation and faith.

6 Comments:

  • Dearest Sanjhale Mama,
    Please allow us to help you conquer what you consider your worst phase.You have helped everyone all your life, please allow all of us to help you when you need it the most.
    Your article is very touching and I am sure it captures only a minuscule of your pain and suffering in this ordeal. I believe that sharing this with your near and dear ones will help reduce the pain. Please do keep writing and discussing these with us.

    I am coming to India in June/July – first half will be gone in taking care of some official work in Hyderabad/Bangalore. I will come to Patna in the first week of July. It has been 2 years and I cannot wait to meet everyone soon.

    With Regards,
    Kush.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 25, 2006  

  • Dear Sanjhala Bhaiya
    It is good that you have shared your experiences through the blog.I am personally observing your behavioural changes and I cannot express what I feeling seeing such a lively person changing in this way.But then also you are facing the situation very bravely.S.Bahiya ,be brave and keep your willpower intact.This will surely help you to fight with the situation.From your article it is so apparent that you are honest by your heart.I can feel how much unburdened you have felt when you have told about your decease to others.Once I also asked you that S.Bhaiya I donot tell anyone about the disease and promptly you replied that it is nothing to hide.I have myself told to so many people and then I came to know that Priydarshini,of my department came to about this from you only.I only pray to God that He must be aware of your physical pain and do something to reduce the pain so that you can lead a quality life which a person like you need.We are always with you.Do not feel yourself alone on any front.
    Veena

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 25, 2006  

  • Though advising you to keep your spirits high is easy, I know that it is very difficult to follow. Wish that we could do something to make you more comfortable!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 26, 2006  

  • Dear s. bhaiya
    I am tightlipped to you but not to god.Everyday I ask,rather pray to HIM for you and I believe HE will not turn a deaf ear towards the call of so many well wishers of such an inspiring personality.Be brave and you also submit yourself to Almighty who will surely listen to you.You are mistaken that now you have started thinking only about yourself.Still you are the same s.bhaiya and try your best to entertain those who visit you.The person who still worries about guest's "nashta chai" cannot say he has become selfish.We are with you so never feel lonely or depressed.You are the pillar of strength for us.
    One girl approached me to do a project on effect of disease on mental condition.I got the first data on the topic and now I am giving a second thought to take up the project. What do you think? S.bhaiya dont get depressed we are always beside you.DO WRITE AGAIN.It is a type of milieu therapy which will help you to unfold yourself and lessen the burden of agony that you are facing.

    meena

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 26, 2006  

  • Respected Sanjhale Mama,
    This was a very touchy article.Whenever I think of you,I always think how you must be coping up with the physical pain and the mental agony and today after reading your article,I exactly know how you were and are feeling.You are always in my prayers.You are one of the finest men whom I know till now and pray to God for you.May God give you all the strength... physically and mentally,that is all I wish for.

    Few days back when I was unwell(it was nothing as compared to you),family support was the only key which gave me strength. I was almost broken due to my illness but i would say that it was only and only the near and very dear ones who helped me regain my spirit. So,I guess ,sharing your pain with someone sometimes really helps.
    With Regards,
    Dolly

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 26, 2006  

  • daddy

    i put myself in your position and then feel what all are going in your mind.. i am connected to you through silence....
    silence has great strength and i do pray for you..after all we all have to travel a LONG LONG JOURNEY..

    bipul/chandigarh

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home